Permits are required for many remodeling projects, repairs, replacements, new structures, and additions. Before starting any home improvement project, please contact the Inspectional Services Division at (630) 823-5860 for permit requirements. Please remember to complete a building permit before starting any work. If you start work without a building permit, you are subject to a permit penalty and Village personnel have no other alternative than to stop work on your project. You can print a copy of the Building Permit from our Forms and Permits page in the Reference Desk section of our website. Click here to go to the Forms and Permits page.
Some of the common construction projects are listed below. If your project is not listed, be sure to contact Village staff to inquire about regulations which may apply to your project.
- Central air conditioners, new or replaced
- Concrete stoops, slabs, and stairs
- Decks or porches
- Driveways, replacement or expansion
- Electrical work
- Furnaces, new or replaced
- Garages, attached or detached
- Gas-light conversions
- Gazebos or greenhouses
- Lawn sprinkler systems
- Plumbing work
- Remodeling; interior, exterior or basement
- Retaining walls
- Roof decking replacement
- Room additions or sunrooms
- Satellite dishes greater than 39.37 inches
- Sewer repair, replacement or clean-out
- Sidewalks or stairs
- Swimming pools, in- or above-ground
- Wall partitions
- Water heaters, new or replaced
- Water softeners, new or replaced
- Windows or doors when added, increased or decreased in size
When to Start Work
Work on a home improvement project may commence only after a building permit has been issued. To show a permit has been obtained for the work, please display the permit placard in a window so it is visible from the street throughout the entire project.
The Community Development Department has many helpful handouts specifying general regulations for many of the projects listed above. Handouts are available for decks, patios, driveways, swimming pools, detached garages, sheds, and others. Please contact the Village staff to see if a handout is available for your project.