Snow & Ice Season Approaching:
Please Remember "Winter Weather – Get it Together"
As snow-and-ice season fast approaches, the Illinois Village of Hanover Park, Hanover Park Police, Department of Transportation and Illinois State Police are reminding the driving public that it’s time for “Winter Weather – Get it Together.” Because of the continuing threat of COVID-19, planning and preparation, as well as patience and understanding, will be needed more than ever from drivers this winter.
At all times, motorists should be mindful of winter driving skills and build extra time into their schedules in the months ahead. As part of the “Winter Weather – Get it Together” campaign, travelers are encouraged to follow these simple guidelines:
• Bookmark GettingAroundIllinois.com
to check travel conditions 24/7.
• Wear a seat belt. It’s the law in Illinois. And it’s your best defense if you are involved in a crash.
• Drop it and drive. Put down the devices – it, too, is the law.
• Do not travel during bad weather unless absolutely necessary. If you do have to drive, check the forecast and make sure someone is aware of your route. Familiarize yourself with public transportation options.
• Slow down. Slower speeds, slower acceleration, slower steering and slower braking are required throughout the winter.
• Don’t crowd the plow. A snowplow operator’s field of vision is restricted. You may see them, but they may not see you. Any plow that’s hit must be pulled out of service, resulting in one less resource available to clear the roads.
• Watch out for black ice. A road may appear clear but can be treacherous.
• Be especially careful when approaching intersections, ramps, bridges and shaded areas. All are prone to icing.
• Prepare an emergency kit that contains jumper cables, flares or reflectors, windshield washer fluid, a small ice scraper, traction material, blankets, non-perishable food and a first aid kit.
• Carry a cell phone and a car charger in case of emergency. For emergency assistance in the Chicago area, call *999.
• Give them distance. Obey the Move Over Law by slowing down and changing lanes when approaching ANY stopped vehicle with flashing lights.
• For more winter driving tips, check out this short IDOT video