Skip navigation
               Sitemap Contact Us Advanced Search
Fire Department

If You Must Stay Elsewhere

Getting Your Family Settled

If your home is uninhabitable, and you cannot find a place to stay (such as with family or friends), consult with your insurance company to see if you are covered for additional living expenses. The Red Cross may be able to provide temporary shelter until you can arrange a place to stay.

Take Valuables With You

If you must leave your home, try to locate the following items to take with you: important legal documents, identification, vital medications, eye glasses, hearing aids, valuables, credit cards, checkbooks, insurance policies, money, jewelry, photos, etc. (Note: Let safes cool down before opening).

Assessment of Damage

The Fire Department will notify the Village Building Inspector if your home has sustained damage as the result of a fire. The Building Inspector will conduct an inspection of your home to assess the extent of the fire damage and to determine what permits are required to repair it. Before attempting any repairs, please contact the Village of Hanover Park.

Clip Art - Man on utility poleUtilities

Often the Fire Department must have the utility services shut off or disconnected as a safety precaution and also to prevent further damage to the structure and its contents. The utility companies will not restore your utilities until the repairs are approved and clearance has been issued by the Village Building Inspector.

If You Move

If you move, notify the United States Postal Service, Secretary of State Department of Motor Vehicles, banks, water department, credit card companies, magazines/newspapers, etc., of your new address. Also contact the Social Security Administration and the Department of Economic Security, if you are receiving benefits.